We're taking a break from the heart health talk today and I thought we could discuss something different.
When I work with clients, they span the spectrum of expectations and compliance. Some will always find reasons why they couldn't comply with our agreed upon goals, and others will beat themselves up even if they met 90% of the aforementioned goals.
That's where I come in. We work together to set realistic achievable goals and I provide gentle accountability to help them achieve the goals they choose. Together we set realistic expectations and together we decide what success looks like. One thing success does not look like is a perfectly executed achievement of a lofty goal. That's the topic of the day...perfectionism.
Do you think you might suffer from perfectionism? And if the answer is "yes", do you think it holds you back?
Ask yourself these questions
- Do you find yourself in "analysis paralysis" when trying to do something new, different, or scary?
- Are you holding yourself back from stepping out of your comfort zone for fear of failure?
- Is procrastination your fallback position because everything is not perfectly in place for a flawless execution?
- Do you have an "all or nothing" mindset when you do something, like try to adopt a healthy lifestyle?
- Do you have unrealistic expectations of yourself and others?
If you can answer 'yes' to any or all of these questions, you might be suffering from perfectionism.
How should you overcome perfectionism?
When we focus only on the results, we don't enjoy the process. Flawless execution is a myth and to hold yourself to that impossible standard sets you up for frustration and disappointment. So, what should you do?
- Enjoy the journey - don't get so caught up on the result that you forget to "stop and smell the roses" along the way
- Set reasonable expectations - don't set a goal so far in the distance you can't even imagine reaching it
- Take small steps - even if your goal is lofty, you can chunk it down into smaller, more manageable goals
- Don't be self-critical - give yourself a break, everyone makes mistakes so learn and move on
- Accept constructive feedback - when someone gives you valid suggestions to improve your outcome, accept them with gratitude, not defensiveness
If you feel that your perfectionism is more obsessive than might be healthy, or is having a dramatic negative impact on your life, seek the help of a qualified mental health professional.
If you feel the need to make some lifestyle changes and don't know where to start, I can help. Click here to schedule a free consultation.
Since June 2019, I decided to hold myself accountable for walking my talk. Several years ago, I was able to take off 135 pounds and essentially save my own life. I regained some of that weight in the last couple of years and I’m working my way back down. I’ve lost over 40 pounds since I began in June and have exercised nearly every day since August.
If you choose to join me on this journey, I hope I am able to impart some nutritional and lifestyle wisdom. Even though I may have gone off the rails temporarily I can still share some of my first hand experience as well as my acquired knowledge and training to help you make the right changes to live your best life.
Do You Want Help?
Would you like to have more energy, lose weight, sleep better, and balance your hormones? I am launching another 5 week Sugar Detox Program beginning soon.
This program is open to anyone who:
- would like to get control of their sugar cravings
- feel better
- have an abundance of energy
- and an overall increase in well-being.
Aren’t you tired of feeling bloated and lethargic?
If you continue to follow the path you’re on, where will it lead you in six months? a year? Isn’t it time to take a different approach?
What you have done in the past hasn’t worked or at least has not stuck. I can help you change that. Click here for a free consultation. We’ll discuss your challenges and your goals for the coming year and see if we’re a good fit. You have nothing to lose except those nasty cravings.
As a health coach, I work with women who are facing serious health challenges like heart disease, metabolic syndrome and diabetes or who have been diagnosed as having a precursor to a serious health issue such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol or high blood sugar. I help them make food and lifestyle changes so they can get healthy, live longer and enjoy a fuller, happier, more energetic life.
If you would like to have a free consultation about the health challenges you have and the improvements you would like to see in your health, click here to schedule a no strings attached call.