Veggies, veggies and more veggies
Did you know that most people who eat the Standard American Diet (aka SAD) only get about 20% or less of fiber they need on a daily basis? To maintain our health, we should be consuming around 25 grams per day and most aren't even getting 5 grams. One way to increase your fiber intake, is to have a delicious green smoothie. My smoothie consists of mostly vegetables and a little fruit.
I always make my smoothies with more vegetables than fruit. Because you tend to add more ingredients to a smoothie than you would likely eat in whole form, using too much fruit will overload you with sugar. Even naturally occurring sugar in high quantity can be detrimental to your health.
I add an avocado to my smoothie for added staying power. High quality fats are necessary for a healthy diet and a critical ingredient for a healthy smoothie. Nut butter that has no other ingredient except the nut from which it is extracted, is also a good alternative.
How Green Is My Smoothie
- 1 Heavy duty blender This is really hard to do in an old fashioned blender. You really need a high speed turbo blender to do the job
- 1 lb spinach Try to find organic ingredients when you can
- 1 bunch curly parsley To me, the bigger the better but use your own judgment
- 1 cucumber
- 2 green apples
- 1 lemon I use the juice but for more tartness, you can use the whole lemon, rind and all
- 1 lime same as the lemon
- 1 chunk ginger I love the peppery bite of ginger so I use a big chunk. If ginger isn't your favorite, use less but don't eliminate it.
- 6 or so stalks celery use more or less according to your own taste
- 1 avocado, peeled I like the creaminess of the avocado and it adds a high quality fat
- 1 handful frozen strawberries use more or less to your taste
- I usually start with the leafy ingredients first then follow with the lemon and lime juice. I blend that into a liquid then add the other ingredients, blending a little more after the addition of each ingredient. The last two ingredients are the avocado and strawberries. Blend everything together until smooth and creamy.I usually add a high quality vegan protein like this one. It makes a complete meal containing high quality protein, vitamins, minerals, fiber, fat and complex carbohydrates. This keeps me satisfied well into the afternoon.
I love to start the day with my green smoothie. I feel like it starts me off on the right foot for a busy, energetic and productive day.
Let me know what you think in the comments.
I help women living with or at risk for developing heart disease or other chronic illness that we can manage through lifestyle and nutrition changes. Have you been told that you are on the verge of developing heart disease, or diabetes, or another lifestyle related condition? If so, let's chat. For a free consultation with me, click here.