**UPDATE** I forgot one of the most important ingredients! See below for the update. I added it to the recipe card and posted the benefits as well.
It’s cold and windy here in the northeastern US today. After the 60 degrees we had yesterday, it’s quite a shock to the system.
That means it’s time for soup! And not just any soup. It needs to be think and rich and delicious and comforting.What’s good about this soup, is I just throw everything into the slow cooker and a few hours later, dinner is served. Add a salad or some crusty bread (no bread for me, thanks) and you’ve got yourself a meal.
The Good Stuff
Butternut squash is chock full of the good stuff. You’ll get lots of Vitamins A and C, both of which support a healthy immune system. That’s certainly something we need these days.
It’s also a good source of fiber to support a healthy gut and lower your risk of developing certain cancers.
There’s also a good amount of potassium to support cardiovascular health by helping to keep your blood pressure in check.
Beans are an excellent source of protein and fiber. If you have someone who doesn’t care for beans, they won’t even know you’ve added them once you blend everything together.
There isn’t a lot of research on the benefits of coconut milk but it is a good source of medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs). Consuming MCTs helps to maintain a healthy weight by decreasing appetite and increasing energy.
So you get all these benefits and more…and best of all, it tastes REALLY good.
My mantra is…easy is more likely to get done. If I had to put a lot of fuss and bother into this meal, it would not likely have happened. I am no gourmet but no one has died from my cooking.
Give it a try and let me know what you think.
Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 Slow cooker
- 1 cup mirepoix That's a French name for chopped celery, onion and carrots
- 2 lbs butternut squash I buy it already cubed, convenience rules
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cloves garlic I slice it to spread it around more
- 2 tsp paprika I tend to go heavy on the seasonings so adjust as you see fit
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tbsp liquid aminos you can use soy sauce here
- 1 can white beans
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- Although others will probably tell you to sauté the mirepoix with the spices first, and roast the squash, I am perfectly happy putting everything, except the coconut milk in the slow cooker raw and cooking it until the squash is really soft.
- Once the squash is good and soft, I use an immersion blender to blend it to all to a smooth consistency.
- After the blending is done, I add the coconut milk and stir/blend it a little more. Cook it to warm the coconut milk and you have soup. I don't recommend using coconut milk from a carton or lite coconut milk. I've never done that so I don't know what the consistency will be.