I know it’s April and not really pumpkin season. But I’ve never been much of a rule follower anyway. It’s a cold and dreary, soggy day here in the beautiful Garden State so it’s just the day for some warm, soothing soup. Plus, I’m always up for making something I can toss together in the slow cooker.
This recipe is made with pumpkin, which is chock full of beta-carotene. It also has curry, cumin, garlic and onion. These ingredients each have their own beneficial nutrient profile. But if you’re looking for something that tastes like pumpkin pie, this is not it. It’s savory and seasoned with a little sweetness…and completely delicious.
I’ve said before that convenience is key for me when necessary. I used canned pumpkin and coconut milk and a carton of veggie broth. I buy organic and when I use canned and packaged food, I make sure in only includes ingredients I would use in a recipe when possible.
If it’s cold and nasty where you live now, give this a try. You can usually find canned pumpkin in the grocery store all year. Let me know how much you loved it.
Creamy Pumpkin Soup
- Slow cooker
- 2 cans pureed pumpkin do not use pumpkin pie filling
- 1 pkg mirapoix chopped celery, onion, carrots
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- cumin however much you want. less is more though
- curry ditto
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can coconut milk I use full fat because it has fewer ingrdients added
- 100% pure maple syrup to taste
- Toss everything except coconut milk and maple syrup into the slow cooker and cook until everything is soft.
- Using an immersion blender to make it smooth and creamy. Or use a traditional blender being careful not to over fill the blender container and risk burns.
- Add coconut milk and maple syrup. Stir and serve.
As a health coach, I work with women who are facing serious health challenges like heart disease, metabolic syndrome and diabetes, or who have been diagnosed as having a precursor to a serious health issue such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol or high blood sugar. I help them make food and lifestyle changes so they can get healthy, live longer and enjoy a fuller, happier, more energetic life. If you would like to have a free consultation about the health challenges you have and the improvements you would like to see in your health, click here to schedule a no strings attached call.