This is a great soup recipe I have been making for 20 years now. I make it on a nice cool crip fall day and it really helps heat up the family.
I really enjoy serving this with a nice loaf of fresh Italian bread that has been warmed up in a 350 oven for about 5 minutes.
Tuscan White Bean Soup
- 1 medium onion chopped (1 cup)
- 1 large leek white part, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3-4 sprigs fresh rosemary or 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme or ½ tsp. dried thyme
- 2 quarts low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cans 15-oz. each cannelloni or great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Sauté onion, leek and garlic in oil in large stockpot over medium heat, stirring frequently until translucent, about 10 minutes. Add rosemary and thyme. Cook 5 minutes longer.
- Add broth, beans, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered,15-20 minutes.
- Remove rosemary and thyme sprigs. Pour two-thirds of beans into blender or food processor. Cover; blend until pureed. Stir beans back into soup; heat through.