The juxtaposition of the warm lentils with the cool greens in this salad make this salad a bit of a gem! Adding in the apples adds a hint of sweetness and tartness to the overall flavor of this salad.
Warm Lentil Salad with Apple
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups cooked or canned rinsed lentils (see Tip)
- 1 small bulb fennel finely diced
- 1 Granny Smith apple finely diced
- 2 stalks celery with leaves finely diced
- 6 cups arugula or mesclun greens
- Whisk 3 tablespoons oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic.
- Cook 30 seconds. Stir in lentils and heat through, about 2 minutes. Stir in 5 tablespoons of the dressing and remove from the heat. Stir in fennel, apple and celery.
- Toss greens with the remaining dressing. Serve with the warm lentil mixture on top.
Tip: To cook lentils, place in a saucepan, cover with at least 1 inch of water, bring to a simmer and cook until just tender, 15 to 30 minutes, depending on the type of lentil. Drain and rinse with cold water. 1 cup dry lentils = about 2 1/2 cups cooked. Or use canned lentils: 15-ounce can = 1 1/2 cups. Rinse canned lentils before cooking with them to reduce the sodium by about 35%.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!