Remember Y2K when all the planes were supposed to fall out of the sky and all the computers in the world would stop functioning at the stroke of midnight? Well here we are nineteen years later...the planes are still flying and the computers are still computing. If we're still here, we're all nineteen years older and hopefully much wiser.
What have you learned in those nineteen years? I've learned that the media is very adept at whipping us into a frenzy as was the case for Y2K. I have also learned some important personal lessons during that time. These are a few of them.
- I learned I can't take my health for granted. I have had two major health events that could have been catastrophic but fortunately were not. They made me face my mortality.
- I learned I can't take people for granted. I lost several people in that time who were dear to me. We never know how long we or anyone else has on this plane so be nice to everyone.
- I learned that in order to remain among the living I needed to make some major changes to my lifestyle and did just that. The result was a 135 pound weight loss and a newfound passion for health and nutrition coaching.
- I learned that raising children is always a work in process. My husband and I raised two fine, strong adult women whom I am very proud to call my daughters.
- I learned I am much stronger than I realized. See points 1-4 for why I know that.
The years since Y2K have been enlightening, challenging, strengthening and full of personal growth for me. In 2018, I retired from my career of over 30 years, not quite ready but having faith that the path will reveal itself to me if I give it the chance. I am now able to pursue my passion of health and nutrition coaching, having received a certification in both holistic health coaching (CHHC) and nutritional consulting (CNC). I love being retired because what I do now I don't consider work. Retirement doesn't suck.
I've set some goals for myself in the new year which I will share in later posts. One of those goals is to blog regularly. I've started and stopped in the past but I'm committed to putting myself out there so here I am. Let me know what you think but please be kind. You never know how long we'll be here.