Hot And Sour Soup
Most people will have Hot-and-Sour Soup when they order out at a Chinese restaurant. What many people do not realize is that it is actually a nice easy recipe that you can cook up at home. Simply toss in the ingredients before you head off to work, and by the time you come home, your delicious soup is just about complete.
- 2 14 1/2 ounce can reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 medium carrots bias-sliced (1 cup)
- 1 8 ounce can bamboo shoots drained
- 1 8 ounce can sliced water chestnuts drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 4 ounce can drained weight sliced mushrooms, drained
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 8 ounces frozen peeled and deveined uncooked shrimp
- 4 ounces refrigerated water-packed firm tofu fresh bean curd, drained and cubed
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley or cilantro optional
- In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine broth, carrots, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, the 1/2 cup water, the mushrooms, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, and crushed red pepper.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours.
- If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. In a small bowl stir together cornstarch and the 2 tablespoons cold water.
- Stir into chicken broth mixture in slow cooker.
- Add frozen shrimp and the tofu.
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes more.
- Sprinkle each serving with parsley.
Serving: 1cupCarbohydrates: 11g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Leave a Comment