A smoothie is usually a thick and creamy beverage made from pureed raw fruit, vegetables, and sometimes dairy products (e.g. milk, yogurt, ice-cream or cottage cheese), typically using a blender. I recommend using a Vitamix since it is a powerhouse when it comes to blending, mixing, and pureeing.
With products typically using raw fruits or vegetables, smoothies include dietary fiber (e.g. pulp, skin, and seeds) and so are thicker than fruit juice, often with a consistency similar to a milkshake. Feel free to add other ingredients that you like - this recipie as is will be a little tart in taste, however, the ingredients included are oh so good for you!
Green Smoothie (aka Karen’s Cocktail)
- 1 Bunch of kale
- 1 Bunch of parsley
- 5 celery sticks
- 1 cucumber
- 3 inch hunk of ginger root
- 2 apples seeded and quartered
- 1 frozen lemon
- 1 frozen lime
- 1 cup water
- Put water in Vita-Mix and blend frozen lemon and lime with water until slushy.
- Add each of the other ingredients blending after each ingredient is added.
- These are not exact measurements. You can use any amount of each that you want.
- You can also use other ingredients but the kale is the most beneficial.
- This will give you a blender full that would last me about 3 days.
- I put 2 tablespoons of chia seeds in the bottom of a large glass and pour the smoothie in.
- Mix thoroughly.