You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a 'Top 10' list on social media these days. Everyone has a list of things to share. And here is another one. I think this list will actually be helpful if you pay attention to it.
Drinking water is one of the easiest and cheapest ways you have to improve your health. Our human bodies are 60% water and our blood is 90% water. Every organ and system in our body needs water to keep it working. We can last several weeks without food but only about three days without water.
Most people walk around dehydrated and don't even realize it. You don't have to feel thirsty to be dehydrated. Even mild dehydration causes skin breakdown and wrinkles, weight gain due to misinterpreted hunger signals, headaches, muscle fatigue, general fatigue, joint pain and many other symptoms.
There are so many reasons why you should drink half your body weight in ounces of water daily. I'll share ten of them here.
- It helps to eliminate body waste - water is needed in the colon to remove stool, the kidneys to remove urine and the skin for perspiration.
- It lubricates and cushions the joints - the cartilage in your joints is made up mostly of water. Dehydration causes the cushion provided by that cartilage to dry up and eventually causes joint pain.
- It helps to deliver minerals and water soluble vitamins to the body - these substances dissolve in water and are easily distributed throughout the cells with water.
- It helps to regulate body temperature - when the body becomes overheated, the water stored in the layers of skin is released in the form of perspiration. When the perspiration evaporates it cools down the body.
- It aids in weight loss - often thirst masquerades as hunger so the next time you think you feel hungry, have a glass of water and wait a bit. You may find you don't need that snack after all.
- It helps you to think more clearly - when the brain does not get enough water, hormones and neurotransmitters are negatively affected and brain function diminishes
- It helps to regulate blood pressure - because the blood is made up primarily of water, dehydration causes the blood to thicken and increase blood pressure
- It helps with exercise performance - dehydration causes muscle cramping and diminished physical performance, along with fatigue.
- It helps to prevent a hangover - much of the "morning after" effect is due to dehydration. You can counteract that effect by alternating plain water with lemon and alcoholic drinks. You'll wake up with less of a headache or maybe even none at all.
- It keeps the skin looking younger and more supple - skin that lacks water look old and wrinkled. Maintain your youthful look by staying hydrated.
The bottom line is drink water as though your life depends on it...because it does.